“Brain health.” You might have heard the term before, but what is it? In a nutshell, brain health is how well you can solve problems, make connections, and how well you function at work and at home. And like any other form of health, brain health is somewhat dependent on the work you do on it. While this might conjure up elaborate math equations or endless crossword puzzles, working on your brain health isn’t that time consuming (although if you enjoy either of those they can be part of your routine as well). Here are seven ways you can easily improve your brain health.
- Get exercise. Regular exercise is good for both your physical and mental well-being. It can lower blood pressure, improve cholesterol levels, and decrease blood sugar. High blood pressure can increase your stroke risk and high cholesterol can decrease overall blood flow. Since increased blood flow to the brain is associated with better brain health, it’s a win-win.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep apnea and insomnia are associated with problems with memory and thinking.
- Eat a healthy diet. While the Mediterranean diet (consisting of fruits, vegetables, fish, and unsaturated fats) has been associated with an decreased risk of cognitive decline and dementia, it’s not the only option. Any diet low in saturated fat and high in fruits and vegetables can be a good start.
- Learn something new. Formal education is associated with better brain health. If there’s no affordable college or community college near you, take a free course online. There are dozens of options.
- Quit smoking. Smoking increases your risk of heart disease and lung cancer, and those are connected to blood flow to the brain, and with that brain health.
- Keep ties with your friends. Social interaction can keep away depression and stress, both of which can affect brain health.
- Challenge yourself. The most important part of brain health is to keep using your brain. Play a board game or a game of cards. Build something, do artwork, anything that you enjoy and is a challenge.
The Neurolign Fit gives you a way to easily measure your brain health as well as providing you with simple activities that can help keep your brain health at its best. Combine its use with the steps above and you can make sure your brain health is the best possible.